Thursday, February 4, 2010

Quilts by Katie

So funny story. Well not really funny just coinsedental I guess.

I started reading my girlfriends blog and she happened to post about quilting. I had been thinking of this post for a while, and now I have to post it to show off my new amazing hobby

Liz turned me into a quilter I guess. I was looking for a baby quilt for the baby and couldn't find one that I liked. So Liz said, "why don't you make one? They are not that hard and you get to pick the fabric".. Yeah, Liz, I don't even sew the button's on Brents pants.....

After some encouraging words and her promise to help me I went to the fabric store. I spent like 3 hours picking out the right fabric's (its hard to pick out the ones that all go together) Anyway, after picking out fabric Liz said okay lets go home and rip them up/

WHAT??? Rip $40 worth of fabric? um Liz, are you sure?

Yep, it gives the straightest lines.
Okay....
So we rip and then she says,"Now you have to iron the strips"
Ahhhh, Liz, I don't even own and iron!
Ok, you can borrow mine

So here I am ironing and finding that this is not what I signed up for at all

Then the fun part started. Liz had this book that walks you through how to make a "Log Cabin" quilt. I loved this book! It made sewing the squares a piece of cake!

So after the squares were made, I had to sew them together. Not hard at all.

Then I had to put the batting and back on and pin each center square to the back.

Then Liz taught me to hand quilt. Not hard just time consuming

After that was done, we added the binding. (This was the hardest part) just because the binding can slide. YOu have to keep it pinned on and sew over the pins. But the finished product was one of my proudest "Homemaker" moments

So Liz made the comment, "I have to warn you, that this is an addicting hobby" sure, Liz....

WEll it is and as soon as I finished JJ's I started on one for Stacey's baby


And I loved it too!

As I was finishing Stacey's, Brent said "when will you make me something?" "You always make things for other people, when can I have something?" So I embarked on my hardest project yet.
A king size quilt for our bed with Utah fabric and KY fabric. After having Pennie and Rosie get the most important pieces, I was off. It is not finished yet. I sewed the squares together and sewed the top together, now all I need to do is the borders and finish the edges off and my crowning achievement is done.



I have to say that this is my new favorite thing to do. In fact I might be embarking on a huge project here, but I can't post it just yet. I will let you know soon

3 comments:

Amy Craig said...

FABULOUS!! What a great talent!

Stacey Irwin said...

I still love Cambria's lil quilt!!! adorable! It still trips me up that YOU of all people have take'n on quilt. Talk about jumping into crafty,sewing with both feet! ( but i'm glad you did.. so is Cambira) They are beautiful!! Go you!

Liz said...

haha! I love that I've done this to you, and how you described the transformation! You went from "Liz you're crazy, I don't sew" to "I'm just now finishing my third quilt, the final being a king size bedspread". Awesome. Awesome transformation, awesome talent, and of course awesome blankets. I bet the last thing you imagined when you moved to FL is you'd find a friend who'd turn quilting into your favorite hobby.