Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time for school.

So I know I still need to update the kids' birthdays I am doing that next so you will need to read a few posts. Sorry.

Anyway, this week we started school. I am happy to say that both girls love their teachers! Yeah!

Hunter however is another story. For those who know Hunter, know that he is quite an intelligent little boy. He loves to read and do math. Of course there is the video games like most little boys, but all in all, the boy loves school. So imagine to my surprise when I walk into Hunters class to meet his teacher and the fireworks began

First. We go to the meet the teacher day before school. This should be the day that the kids have the most fun. New class, New School (for Hunter anyway), New School year. Right? Well no.

We get into the class and you know how there is a ton of paperwork to fill out. Well the teacher asks the kids to go and get a book. Hunter says he just wants to sit by me and watch people. Fine by me, but no miss S decided to tell my son he has to get a book and read. So I tell Tip to just go grab a book. He comes back, doesn't even sit down and the teacher says, "Buddy, that book isn't your level. Why don't you choose a book from this pile?" I kid you not. This boy comes back with a Berenstein Bear book!!! What? He hasn't read those since kindergarten, plus she said it in front of the whole class and parents. Of course you can imagine my look then right? "umm did you really just belittle my child" oohh I was angry.

So anyway, the teacher does her shpill on the rules and then states. "Your children are in this class for one reason. They can't read" WHAT? MY KID CAN'T READ?!!!!

I let her finish then she asks if anyone has a question. I raised my hand and said "yeah, I have a few". I said that it was a total shock to me that my son was placed in this class. I haven't ever received any information that my son was struggling. He has always been the head of his class. All of his grades have been A's through school. Where did you find anything to support him being in this class?
"Well his SAT 10 scores put him here"
"So you only looked at 1 test?"
"Yes, Miss Craig"
"Okay, so if my son does need this class, how come I wasn't notified? Also, if he needs this class I will get him to where he needs to be. However, could it be, just could it be that he had a bad testing day?"
"Well I don't know Maam"
"ok, I will find out"
So I leave the class with Hunter. On the way to the car he tells me that the teacher hurt his feelings. Really? Tip can't blame ya. Mom will take care of it.

Okay, so I come home, lose it with Stacey. I was shaking! Can't talk to Brent because he was in a meeting so I had to wait until he got home.
He gets home. I explain what happened. He tells me that we have 3 options.
1. fight it
2. let him do the first weeks testing and have him prove he doesn't belong there
3. let him just be in the class.

Well option 3. was first out.
The next day I called to speak with the principal. Left a message (she was in a meeting). So I had a break between clients and I called back. I will say this for WNIS. The Principal and Asst. Principal really listen.
I explained what happened to Hunter, I then wanted an explanation as to why he was placed in this class. I said that I would get him help if it was needed but I just didn't see it with Hunter. The asst. principal pulled up Hunters grades, and saw that he has always been at the top. He did say that he most likely had a bad testing day. He was personally going to test Hunter at the beginning of the week, and Brent and I have a meeting with him today. I have been talking with some people who are teachers and they all say that Hunter is right where he needs to be with reading. He is just fine. So hopefully today we will have some answers.

Side note. the asst. principal spoke with Hunters teacher. She then called and apologized to me for her behavior. I told her and the asst. that even if Hunter needs to stay in the program I want him out of her class! I told her that if she spoke to him the way she did with me there, then what was she saying when I wasn't? So either way Hunter is out of that class as of today! Yeah.

WoW alot to get off my chest but soooo worth it.

No comments: